2019 has been a busy year!
We had several SIG events, our National Conference in Vaughn in October, graduations from our Manufacturing Essentials Certification programs, and, of course, plant visits with our members. We have over 100 members in our consortium alone in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph and Brantford. One of the most positive changes that I have noticed is that we are involving several different functions from each company. It is not just one function that is involved with EMC and is attending our events. We have had participation from Human Resources, Engineering, Maintenance, Health and Safety, Continuous Improvement, Training, IT, and Senior Leadership. That is really the beauty of EMC membership – we do not offer value to any one function, but rather highlight material and resources from all functions of a manufacturing facility.
We have had some intriguing topics at our SIG events this year, including:
- Integrating Safety into Your Workplace Culture (H&S, HR focus)
- Reducing the Cost of Product Manufactured (CI, Engineering, Senior Leadership focus)
- Finding the Right Hire – Developing Job Descriptions that best Reflect the Position (HR and Senior Leadership focus)
- Maximizing Efficiencies Throughout Supply Chain (Senior Leadership, CI focus)
- The Fifth “S”- How to Sustain the 5S Process (CI, Engineering focus)
- Employment Law and MOL updates (HR, Senior Leadership focus)
Of course, one of the most advantageous benefits to attending our SIG events is the plant tour. My personal thanks to each of our hosts for inviting our members into their facilities to showcase their successes.
I am eagerly looking forward to the upcoming year – to continue to visit our members at their facilities, to best understand their priorities and how I can be a member of your team by supporting through EMC’s value-add programs in energy, safety, purchasing, training, cyber-security, funding, risk management, export, and training, and by our continued successful SIG events. I continue to be overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and exhilaration that our members have in benchmarking and networking with other members, and allowing me to be a part of the journey.
Thank you to the members in my consortium for welcoming me into your plants, and I look forward to continue to work with you.