H&S: Effective Workplace Inspections. Near and dear to the hearts of our Eastern Ontario consortium!
It was obvious how timely and important the topic of “Effective Workplace Inspections” was to our members in Eastern Ontario. We set up two dates at two locations and overfilled both events! I was scrambling at the last minute when registrants blossomed considerably, so much so that our event at GFSA in Johnstown had to move us to a larger room than originally planned. Our second event at PSP in Arnprior required a row of chairs against two walls to accommodate the cozy group! We certainly maxed the capacity of their boardroom.
A very special thank you to our hosts, Darrell & Steve at Greenfield Specialty Alcohols and Sherrie & Rudy at Pacific Safety Products; and thank you to Laura Rourke who presented on our topic at both locations.
You can find Laura’s presentation and inspection form examples posted onto your respective member pages in the Eastern Ontario files section.
Take-aways from the events:
- Why should you conduct inspections? Legal requirements, Due diligence, Employer/Supervisor/Employee responsibilities.
- Types of Inspections: New Procedure Validation, New Equipment Reviews, Pre-use Inspections, Critical Parts Inspections, Unscheduled Checks, Continuous Inspections, Planned Inspections, Layered Process Audits. Is your committee just looking at things or taking in how employees are doing their job?
- How to prepare: Establish a Schedule, Choose a focus, Develop Checklists/guides, look at previous audit results/outstanding issues/incident reports
- What to look for: Are your employees following SOPs, Electrical/Chemical/Ladder/Fire/Warehouse Safety, PPE, Ergonomics, Machine guarding, LOTO, Trip hazards, Racking.
- Documentation: How easy are the forms to use? Do they flow or are you flipping back and forth through the pages? Is there structure/guidance to the documentation/audit? Do you change it up, maybe adding something specific to each months “core” audit requirements?
- Follow-up: Are recommendations from previous audits been assigned and addressed? Are you finding recurring items? Maybe you are not fixing the root cause?
Safety is an integral component of our work environment. Make Health & Safety your culture!
Laura’s favourite line: What interests my boss, fascinates the heck out of me!
If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to contact me at 905-510-5648 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org