Members gathered at Sandvik Materials Technology in Arnprior and Nelson Industrial in Pickering to discuss best practices for improving employee engagement and productivity in their organizations.
Value Stream Mapping is a tool in the Lean toolbox that, when leveraged properly, can bring about results that have a significantly positive impact.
Typical outcomes of working with VSM include but are not limited to;
- Shortened product to customer leadtimes
- Simplified and streamlined administrative functions
- Break down Management / Worker barriers
- Employee alignment to priority targets. From the Owner to the Shopfloor worker, everyone can clearly see what improvement potential exists and what the logical next steps should be
- Employees start to feel that their opinions matter and their willingness to improve can make a company unstoppable
Most members that were present had some form of Continuous Improvement program in their organizations already but were looking for some fresh ideas to capture the attention of their teams. Everyone took away at least one or two new ideas. Once of the key learnings for all was such that their programs need not be complicated to reap the greatest success, a simple sticky note exercise could get you where you need to be. The key learning was really that if you are trying to improve a process, you must ensure that the people performing the work on a daily basis are involved in this initiative. They truly are the experts that you need to draw information and ideas from to be successful.
If VSM is not currently a part of your business, I would encourage you to give it some serious consideration.
Like with many other challenges you regularly face, EMC is here to help. Just reach out and we can direct you to our team of experts that will ensure you get started on the right path to success.