Brockville members shared best practices & experience with applying for government programs at the March SIG held at Ketchum Manufacturing Ltd. A number of Community Partner guests also attended to give short updates or presentations re: their services and to offer advice on how to complete the applications (wording, timing, etc) in a manaer that would help to ensure success. Community Partners attending included Brockville Economic Development, Ministry SB&CS, 1000 Islands Workforce Training Board, and t
Information shared by Community Partners included:
Brockville Economic Development - Dave Paul
- Community Improvement Program (Industrial Park + Canarm, Abbott & Trillium Health Care)
- Employment Survey
- Template re: all funding program (See Brockville Consortium webpage)
- Possible new packaging plant for Brockville
- Capital Corridor - Economic Summitt in Watertown
- Food Producers Biosphere - to promote selling of food from local producers
- Official Plan Update
- Immigration Launch
- Invista Training Centre
- National Geographic Tourism Charter Society
- Current Developments showing some solid signs of improvement in economy.
Employment & Education Centre
- Not-for-profit (25 yrs) that works directly with job seekers and employers.
- Help with career development, resumes, access funding, retraining & job seeking
- Also help with outplacement and all stages of the layoff process
- Help with HR functions - recruiting & selecting.
- See Brockville Member webpage for link to information re: Employer training Incentive Programs and infomration re: Service Canada's Work Share Programs - these include Summer Job Service, Job Connect & Targeted Wage Subsidy
- Laura Good - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of Small Business & Consumer Services
- Chris Puddicombe attended to give members help and suggestions re: being successful in applying for funding aimed at manufacturers.
SMART Program - http://www.cme-smart.ca/
Eastern Ontario development Fund - http://www.ontariocanada.com/ontcan/en/eodf_main_en.jsp
Export Market Access Program - http://exportaccess.ca/index/shtml
Yves Landry Foundation - Achieving Innovation & Manufacturing Excellence - http://www.yveslandryfoundation.com
Member Discussion continued regarding the following programs being used:
- SR&ED (Note Ross Cooper, EMC added his perspective to the discussion)
- SMART Program to expand & develop a new product; focus on productivity gains
- Yves Landry application (skills development)
- Export Market Access - now will accept $ for US trade shows as long as it is a NEW market for the company.
Major challenge for members is trying to find time to put the application together.