Recruitment Challenges -- Encouraging Job Seekers to apply starts with Attraction
- Do you promote that your company provides a solid career opportunity with personal growth development plans?
- Do you engage in effective environmental initiatives?
- Do you offer good Benefits programs? (don't hesitate to demonstrate the monetary equivalence of these programs as part of their overall compensation as many do not know their true cost to an employer)
- Can you offer flex hours or shifts?
- What are your unique employee propositions; access to "select" training or clients, products and services...?
- Maximize your websites and social media to attract job seekers
- Create internal awareness & incentives to hires friends and family
- Grow manufacturing awareness through area Schools, Co-ops and community events
- Train from Within (Funding for Training is still available this year through various programs like Canada Ontario Job Grants)
- Maximize Tradeshows for products, services and recruitment opportunities
- Fleet Truck in parades
- Use of social media and QR codes for quick take away info.
- Career days and Manufacturing day tours
- Career job fairs
- Background screening and proper references increases the likelihood of hiring the right person.
- Use of Agencies to find the correct fit.
- Web based recruitment tools like Linked In where not everyone is actively looking vs a site like Indeed or Monster where there is a higher chance the people may be considering a change in employment may be a better way to find your next hire.
- Is it worth paying a bit more to the right individual now instead of later with lost productivity and turnaround?
- Agencies and Advertizing cost $$$ that could be additional salary dollars.
- Today’s Youth want more facetime with Senior Level Leadership - Yet many still make themselves unaccessible.
- Make it easy for job seekers to learn more about your organization with more online access.
- Do our ads speak right past the reader, using the third person like this: “The Selected Candidate will possess twenty years of …”
In the reader’s mind they already have doubt brewing that “The Candidate” does not mean them. Confident people, may bypass these types of job descriptions because you are not speaking to them directly.
- The Essential Qualifications - We can deter folks from applying because they lack one of those so called essential qualifications that can possibly be trained on or may not be as important in the big scheme of things and yet it’s called an essential requirement and listed in same priority on the Job Ad. The best job ads tell you why the skill is needed and how it is used. Make the job interesting and make it sound fun enough to want to spend everyday there and for a long time hopefully.
A bit about our host...
Miura Co., Ltd. was founded in Japan in 1927 and has grown to be one of the largest boiler manufacturers in the world. Today, Miura manufactures over 10,000 boilers annually with over 150,000 boilers currently in service. There are two North American Manufacturing Facilities, one in Brantford, Ontario and the other in Rockmart, Georgia. There are more than ten locations where Miura sales and service offices are in the United States, Mexico and Brazil. Miura is known worldwide for our commitment to protecting the environment and our innovative and efficient boiler designs. (www. miuraboiler.ca)
We are grateful to have been invited to visit Miura for two great events this week and look forward to seeing how they continue to grow their business with talent that is right for the employee and the company.
SIGS bring ”like minded” people together to share their best practices, their experiences and their ideas. We hope you will join us for more of this collaboration at the next EMC SIG event in your area.