EMC Halifax Consortium
Archives for Doug Eisenor « Recent Articles
We had a fantastic event at one of our newest members this year. Transcontinental Print took us on a journey of their 5-S system. They have a well developed 5-S program that they developed over the past 6 years. Reaching their goal last year of attaining their corporate certification. This certification required 2000 hrs of practical work after the required training was completed. It involved three groups they feel are the pillars needed to support a good CI program – employees, shareholders and customers.
Our journey started with an overview of their corporate perspective and their commitment that starts at the top of their organization and is drilled down to every level. With the use of an employee / management steering committee, delimitation of the plant floor and colour coding by area (zones). We looked at their challenges and how they overcame them. We reviewed their game plan for 5-S and heard from Jeff Ainsley (Continuous Improvement) and Matthew Britten (Operations Manager) about the…
This month our discussion topics were Succession Planning & Recruitment Efforts & Discussions with Dr. Jamie Cox (WCB) & Mary Morris (OEA)
For the April session the group met at Farnell Packaging where we examined some of the challenges being faced and the stresses being felt by management and workers alike. We also reviewed some of the funding opportunities out there to help deal with these challenges.
Discussion points and links to recent funding opportunities:
- Service Canada - Targeted Wage subsidy
- ACOA & NSBI provide loans & funding programs
- NSP Electrical Efficiency Program
- Nova Scotia Business Development Program
- Change to natural gas - No incentives and some retrofit problems encountered
- 'Green teams' look at initiatives to help the company be more 'green'
- Car Pooling - promoting the effects and environmental savings
- EI Workshare program
- Discussion and suggestions for facing current…
Our planned event for March was on Disaster recovery & Learning tools for leadhands. Here is some information on these topics.
Disaster Recover/Business Resumption planning .
With any business there needs to be a plan in place when disaster strikes. Whether it's downsizing, loosing key personnel, or getting back to business after a facility accident or closure for some other reason. Having an established plan will save time, money and prevent some of the confusion people experience.
The need for established procedures increases during times of economic challenge due to changes and reductions in staff. Information can be…
The Halifax group met at Ultra Electronics to discuss training programs. The session was broken into two parts as listed below:
In-house Training Programs
Points of the discussion included:
- Orientation training
- Lack of training for staff & management
- Use of visual boards for OJTs.
- Good orientation requires preparation work before new hire arrives
- Use of card system or other employee record for tracking training.
- Challenge in tracking and measuring results of training.
- Communication often key to effectiveness
- Goals & parameters need to be set prior to commencement so measurements can be taken to compare afterwards
About this channel
- 13,186 views
- 28 articles
- 0 followers
- OfflineGlenn Durnford
- January 2013 1
- September 2012 1
- June 2012 1
- May 2012 1
- April 2012 1
- March 2012 1
- January 2012 1
- December 2011 1
- November 2011 1
- September 2011 1
- June 2011 1
- April 2011 1
- March 2011 1
- January 2011 1
- November 2010 1
- September 2010 1
- June 2010 1
- May 2010 1
- February 2010 2
- December 2009 2
- November 2009 1
- September 2009 1
- June 2009 1
- April 2009 1
- March 2009 2